Re: More Re: AW: Re: pkg install/uninstall again

From: kensmith
Subject: Re: More Re: AW: Re: pkg install/uninstall again
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:04:14 -0700

On Monday 16 July 2007 01:13, David Bateman wrote:
> kensmith wrote:
> > It appears that I had a very different problem from the org.
> > question.
> >
> > I figured out part of the problem in the "make" operation.  The
> > Makefile has a common mistake in it.  In all places where you see:
> >
> >         XXXXX   =   YYYY, ZZZZ .... etc
> >
> > make that
> >
> >        XXXXX=  YYYY,ZZZZ ... etc
> >
> > I had fixed only some of the cases resulting in some lines that did
> > work and some that didn't in the Makefiles.
> >
> > I still haven't gotten it to work right yet, but I'm getting
> > closer.
>
> What version of make are you using..

*******
~> make -v
GNU Make 3.80
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
*************

> The above is necessary for shell
> script but not to my knowledge for Makefiles.. Octave itself is full
> of such examples. I suspect if you used a gnu version of make (which
> in fact I believe are the only officially supported versions of make)
> then these problems would go away...

It looks like you suspect wrong since it is a GNU version.  Perhaps it
is just a "feature" of only this version of the GNU make.  I am fairly
sure that it was a non-GNU make where I first bumped into this issue
and since them I have never put spaces in.  As a result I've never put
it to test with my own "Makefile"s.

After removing the spaces, it looks like I have another problem only
this one is in the "./configure" script.  The  help stuff is supposed
to be processed by a   "Texinfo" utility.  The "./configure" is getting
something wrong there.  I think it may be that it can't find the needed
program and sets it to "missing" because I get an unknown command
called "missing" in my "Makefile"s for the documentation.

If I get it all fixed, I will post the patch.

--
address@hidden