Re: error: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: error: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:51:22 -0700

I'm running 2.1.50a on WinXP and used to have that same
problem when dealing with 20-30MB files until..
I expanded the memory, then never happened again, plus
instead of 12 minutes the program only took 2 minutes,
since it didn't have to swap to HD all the time.

somewhere in the email archives is the discussion on how to
do it, but you're lucky.  It worked on my WinXP

this was a little batch program that would extend the
memory enough for my needs.  Due to word wrap, I'll
separate each line with a space

cd\

cd Program Files\GNU*\bin

regtool -i set "/HKCU/Software/GNU
Octave/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb" 1024

regtool -v list "/HKCU/Software/GNU Octave/Cygwin"

cd\

cd Documents and Settings\Robert\My Documents

Or make it larger than 1024, but I didn't need that much.
 Seems octave was marginal for me before.  Try it out and
see if that fixes the problem.

the binary of 2.9.12 was kindly provided, has a known
'exit' bug.  Seems to be stable for me.  BUT, the plotting
functions deteriorated too much for my needs. so I keep
both available.

For example, the old gnuplot gsplot would put up a matrix
400 by 400 and you can rotate it well with the mouse, but
the plotting with 2.9.12 [so far] I can only get equivalent
speed of rotating with mouse on a matrix about 25 by 25.
 useless for my needs.  I could be doing something wrong.
 But the problem is 2.1.50a has 150 custom functions and
scripts that RELY upon gnuplot.

Robert