Re: Octave & Emacs in Windows

From: poti
Subject: Re: Octave & Emacs in Windows
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:21:22 -0400

On 12:35 Mon 11 Jun     , Fergus Ray Murray wrote:
> Has anyone got Emacs to play nicely with Octave in Windows? Or any other
> nice syntax-highlighting text editor, for that matter? I guess I could just
> switch between windows and type on the Octave command-line thing every time
> I want to see the results of the file I'm working on, but there's probably a
> much better way, right?

I am not sure what you mean by playing nice, but when I tried it, it was
not working at all. That problem has been fixed:
Get:
http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/octave/emacs/octave-inf.el
byte compile it (M-x byte-compile-file ) and copy both files to
Emacs/lisp/progmodes/

then add
(autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)
(setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.m$" . octave-mode) auto-mode-alist))

to your .emacs file.
Open a file ending in .m and C-h m for the mode features.
I am not an Octave user, but it looks nice. Many keybindings for
commands, templates for often used structures, etc.