error: failed to install .mex file function `xyz'

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: error: failed to install .mex file function `xyz'
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:59:08 -0400

On 21-Jun-2007, David Grohmann wrote:

| I am writing a mex file for octave, but am getting this error when
| trying to load it. Is there a way to get a more specific error as to why
| it is not loading?
|
| octave:1> which xyz
| error: failed to install .mex file function `xyz'
| which: `xyz' is undefined
| octave:1> version
| ans = 2.9.12

What kind of system are you using?

A MEX file is just a shared/dynamically loadable library.  The details of
liboctave/oct-shlib.cc to see what Octave is doing when it loads a
shared library.  For systems that use dlopen to perform this task, we
have:

      library = dlopen (file.c_str (), flags);

      if (library)
        stamp_time ();
      else
        {
          const char *msg = dlerror ();

          if (msg)
            (*current_liboctave_error_handler) ("%s", msg);
        }

so I assume that dlerror is not returning anything.

I agree that it would be nice to have more information about precisely
what is failing, but I don't know how to get more information about
the failure.  If there is something more we could do here, I'd
consider patches.

jwe