Re: Using fsolve() for a function involving quad()?

From: David Grohmann
Subject: Re: Using fsolve() for a function involving quad()?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:05:51 -0500

Minyu Chen wrote:
Dear all:

I am sorry that the question might sound a bit silly.

I need to solve a function involving integration, so I think I need both quad()--for the integration and fsolve()--for the equation. However, the integrand involve the unknown.

For a trivial example, I want to solve: x+\int_{0}^{1}x*y dy=0

I was thinking of taking a function:

function w=f(y)
w=x.*y;
on this line what 'x' do you expect to have? you need to pass your x in from g() to f() if that is the x you though tit would be.
endfunction

Then I use another function:

function z=g(x)
z=quad('f',0,1)+x;
endfunction

Then I use: fsolve('g',0.5). But it didn't work.

The error message is that the "x" is not defined in my f function. However, I called "f" only in the function "g", and the x in the function "g" is already initialized as 0.5 in the searching. What went wrong?

Thank you very much.

Thanks,
Minyu Chen