Imagesc problem and general new octave user question

From: sediment
Subject: Imagesc problem and general new octave user question
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:27:47 -0700 (PDT)

i am a new octave user and have two questions - one practical, one looking
for advice

i installed the recommended octave 2.1.73 using the self-contained windows
package (NOT using cygwin) available on octave's site. i am running windows
XP.

question 1) from matlab i would use the image and imagesc quite a bit. when
i try to use the image or imagesc command in octave, the plots are generated
in a web browser window (explorer in this case) and listed in a temporary
octave folder (C:\Program Files\GNU Octave 2.1.73\tmp\). i see the image
source code says that it tries to invoke imagemagick display. i have
installed a version of this (maybe too new to be compatible?).
what should i do?  (i am not too savvy with codes and compiling, etc).

question 2) i would like to migrate entirely to octave and be done with
matlab licenses for good, for me and my university students. as seems to be
a common theme on these threads, i of course am interested in better
graphics than GNU plot. i also need code to run reasonable efficiently.
is there a (simple enough for me to understand - i'm a geologist!) way of
installing ocplot for a windows machine running octave 2.1.73?

also, i know there is a bleeding edge 2.9.10 octave. i know as a newbie i
should stay away from such things, but i did download it from bateman's
page. it seemed to run substantially faster on my windows machine, but
octplot did not work at all (i could get it to recognize octplot from the
'octplot_toggle' command, but the when i tried to plot it would say 'cannot
start process'). also, image gave me a problem here - it just wouldn't run,
giving me an error from fopen with a 'warning: default is binary'. so i
uninstalled it because i didn't know what it would do.

in sum, as a new guy who wants to run code reasonably efficiently (i don't
expect the exact same as matlab), and have some flexibility in plotting (say
what octplot seems to be able to do, and other 3d add-ons like octaviz which
i don't  know how to install on my windows machine), what exactly would you
recommend to use, and how do i do it?

thanks
-doug