plotting issues and questions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: plotting issues and questions
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:28:29 -0400

On 25-Apr-2007, address@hidden wrote:

| i am running octave 2.9.9. I wrote scripts which read in data, compute stuff
and
| plot. I need to be able to customize the plots quite a bit in terms of
| linewidth, size, etc ... . I also would like to draw arrows on the graph.
|
| I do not want open an X windows when plotting but simply plot to a file. Since
| gset is going to be dumped (at least that's one warning i read) i use
| __gnuplot_raw__, which, i believe, passes the command straight through to
| gnuplot? However, I read that the __gnuplot_raw__ is for internal use only. So
| how do i direct the output to a file without using __gnuplot_raw__/
| __gnuplot_set__ and without having to open an X-window first and then saving
the
| plot?
|
| Further, i would like to be able to take advantage of gnuplot's linestyles by
| defining them and then using them. But i want to plot data i created in
octave.
| So for example, i have an vector 'a' which i want to plot. I tried:
| __gnuplot_raw__ ('plot a');
| but that did nothing. I guess my question is how i can pass a octave
| container/vector to gnuplot to be plotted?
|
| The other thing i tried was to use gplot. But that was a complete failure. The
| first example in the docs:
|
| gplot rand (100,1) with linespoints
|
| threw a syntax error.
|

| your help is greatly appreciated,

This works in 2.9.10:

  figure ('visible', 'off');
  x = -pi:0.01:pi;
  plot (x, sin(x), 'linewidth', 10);
  print -depsc2 foo.ps

Or, if you really love working with gnuplot directly, then just use
Octave to do the computations, write some data files, and run gnuplot
separately, or use __gnuplot_raw__ to send commands and data directly
to gnuplot from Octave (but don't mix with any higher level Matlab
style plot commands at all).

jwe