Re: Plots and Latex

From: juanjo
Subject: Re: Plots and Latex
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:25:08 -0700 (PDT)

`gnuplot' has several terminals to print the plot. One of them is `gpic'.
`gpic' was developed to work with troff but you can use it to get latex
pictures. Although `gpic' has a latex output, I recommend you using `dpic' a
pic processor written by Dwight Aplevich
(http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/~aplevich/Circuit_macros/). After you have
plotted your figure with octave and gnuplot follow the next steps (write
these commands):
1. octave:>__gnuplot_set__('terminal gpic')
2. octave:>__gnuplot_set__ output "filename.pic"
3. octave:>replot
4. octave:>__gnuplot_set__('terminal x11')

The first command activates the gpic terminal. The second command indicates
the name of the file where the figure will be saved. The third command
redraws the plot, but is done as a file. The last command reactivates the
x11 terminal.
The next step is open the file `filename.pic' . Then, the lines that are out
of the macros .PS and .PE must be delete.
The last step is write:
[prompt]$ dpic -p filename.pic > filename.tex

And you get a pstricks file to be used with latex. You can read the
Aplevich's documentation about dpic to get other outputs: TikZ, metapost
format, ...