Re: LaTeX codes in plot text (titles, labels, etc.)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: LaTeX codes in plot text (titles, labels, etc.)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:42:25 -0500

On 19-Feb-2007, Peter Gustafson wrote:

| I would love to see something like this included in octave/gnuplot.  I
| know there are good solutions out there for latex (seemingly the best
| being psfrag), however I really prefer pdflatex (because of hyperlinking
| and beamer) and psfrag doesn't work with pdflatex.  Further, it would be
| great to be rid of the direct requirement of manually creating a .tex
| file and compiling with latex, since I often want the same plot on
| screen as ends up in my paper.

I think psfrag is a bit of a kluge.  If you are already using LaTeX
and gnuplot, then I think the epslatex terminal is a better solution.
You can convert the PostScript parts to PDF with epstopdf and then it
works with pdflatex too.

| Of course there are many hacks that can make this work.  However I'd
| love to see the future of octave (OK, probably gnuplot so that octave
| gets it for free) go in the direction of specifying tex style symbol
| labels.

If you want changes in gnuplot, then post to the gnuplot lists.

jwe