Re: [Maxima] maxima as octave CAS

From: sen1
Subject: Re: [Maxima] maxima as octave CAS
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:25:35 -0500 (EST)

Some general comments from a casual user of matlab, octave, etc.

First, I don't see much advantage to being able to call some CAS from within
octave?

I can understand why it is useful to have some Maple routines
available in matlab.

1) Matlab has a whole graphic interface. It is an entire environment
   from which to work.

2) Maple and Matlab, are, separately, expensive packages.  So, an
   add-on from one to the other with a small extra expsnse is
   sensible.  Actually, I tried both together (the symbolic toolkit in
   matlab) and each separately, and I find I prefer the latter.  For
   me, the symbolic implementation in Matlab is cumbersome.  The main
   reason for it is to save money, not to increase functionality.  If
   price were not a serious consideration, I would simply have both.

   In this connection, I briefly tried SAGE as well.  It does many
   good things, but I did not see much advantage to calling maxima up
   from within it.  I preferred to translate data and use maxima
   separately.  (Admittedly, I did not use it much, so I can imagine
   the utility of some big number-theoretic or group-theoretic operation
carried out in
   SAGE which might make use of a maxima routine).  That is for the
   significant users to discuss.

Also Octave (as far as I have seen, and I am not a big user) is a free command
line interface to many routines available in matlab.  It does not
(again as far as I know), have a Win-XP version.  So, if one wants to
do CAS at the command line in unix, why not just fire up maxima
itself.  Of course there is some data exchange necessary, read-write
of matrices, etc.

 There would be some advantage to calling up graphics routines
 (e.g. matplotlib) from within maxima. But that looks like having
 octave available to do routines from within maxima (or just the
 matplotlib routines themselves), not the other way
 around.  This, again AFAIK, would be problematic in Win-XP.

So, before a real commitment is made to get octave and maxima to work,
one from within the other, it seems to me some indication of the
potential benefits should be given.

 -sen

 | Sheldon E. Newhouse            |    e-mail: address@hidden           |
 | Mathematics Department         |                                        |
 | Michigan State University      | telephone: 517-355-9684                |
 | E. Lansing, MI 48824-1027 USA  |       FAX: 517-432-1562                |