Re: Octave download statistics

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: Octave download statistics
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:49:10 +0100

<sorry Brian for the double send, I' m a little google mail challenged.>

Maybe someone should write a "phonehome" script that detects whether
or not .octaverc exists and gives the user the option to report use of
octave to some database. I would bet that at _least_ 1e6 people have
seen the octave:x> prompt at some point. One of the challenges of the
free software model is to convince the politicians that they should
support it.  That's hard to do unless you can convince them that this
stuff is used. I think that RedHat is considering something like this.
M.

free software - it's good for you, trust me.