RE: FW: seeking Octave connectivity to MySQL solutions

From: Chao, Tyrone \(US SSA\)
Subject: RE: FW: seeking Octave connectivity to MySQL solutions
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 14:05:19 -0500

Thank you both for your input!

Tyrone

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of John Swensen
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 1:10 PM
To: Eric S Fraga
Cc: address@hidden

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 06:19:44PM -0500, Chao, Tyrone (US SSA) wrote:
>
>> So my amended question is the following: What alternatives exist to
>> enable Octave to connect to MySQL using Java rather than C++?
>>

> I can't answer your question directly but I can say that I connect to
Java
> from Octave using sockets. Not ideal (large overhead) but it works.

To answer your original question (and excluding the use of Java), here
is a possible solution.
Just a quick search on Google for "matlab mysql interface" returned the
following

http://ltl.tkk.fi/~kuutela/mysqlmex.html
http://mmf.utoronto.ca/resrchres/mysql/

With the recent addition of additional MEX functionality and it being
moved from OctaveForge to Octave, I doubt it would be a large effort to
get this working in Octave.  For all I know, they may compile right out
of the box.  It simply links against the mysqlclient library that is
provided with most MySQL distributions.

John Swensen