Re: octave-forge newby install question

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: octave-forge newby install question
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:42:43 -0500

the_verge wrote:
Or, as an alternative, is there a way to have both octave 2.1 and octave 2.9
installed, and have octave-forge work for both of them?  My linux
distribution (MEPIS) has access to Ubuntu repositories, which have octave
2.1, octave 2.9.6, and octave-forge 2006.3.17-2 available.  However,
octave-forge is only linked to octave2.1, (as a dependency) so when I launch
octave2.9, I don't have the octave-forge functionality.

If I just go ahead and install octave2.9, octave2.1, and octave-forge, is
there something simple I can do (in my .octaverc file perhaps) so that when
I sart octave2.9, I get the full octave-forge functionality?

This isn't really practical because octave forge contains many compiled functions (.oct files) which are not compatible with both 2.1 and 2.9 because of API changes. Many of the .m files could theoretically be shared between two releases, but I think it is best to just install two separate versions.

As far as your original question about LOADPATH, the problem is that LOADPATH was removed in recent 2.9.x releases in favor of the new functions addpath and rmpath. The documentation in octave-forge was not updated to reflect this. If you were able to install octave-forge as root into the system install path, I think octave should find the octave-forge functions without the LOADPATH lines in your .octaverc file. If that doesn't work, I suggest reading the help text on addpath and modifying the lines to use that function.

Quentin