Re: Random number function for normal distribution?

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Random number function for normal distribution?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:53:30 -0500

jian Xu wrote:
In MATLAB, I can use normrnd( mu, sigma, m, n) to generate a m by n
matrix with random number from the Normal(mu, sigma) distribution.
What is the corresponding function in Octave?

More importantly, what is the best resource for me to look for answers
of this kind of question?  Thank you very much.

Jian

This should be what you want.

_Function File:_ *normal_cdf* /(x, m, v)/
   For each element of x, compute the cumulative distribution function
   (CDF) at x of the normal distribution with mean m and variance v.

   Default values are m = 0, v = 1.

@anchor{doc-normal_inv}

_Function File:_ *normal_inv* /(x, m, v)/
   For each element of x, compute the quantile (the inverse of the CDF)
   at x of the normal distribution with mean m and variance v.

@anchor{doc-normal_pdf}

_Function File:_ *normal_pdf* /(x, m, v)/
   For each element of x, compute the probability density function
   (PDF) at x of the normal distribution with mean m and variance v.

@anchor{doc-normal_rnd}

_Function File:_ *normal_rnd* /(m, v, r, c)/
   Return an r by c matrix of random samples from the normal
   distribution with parameters m and v. Both m and v must be scalar or
   of size r by c.

   If r and c are omitted, the size of the result matrix is the common
   size of m and v.