Re: UMFPACK Installation Problem

From: Krishnan V
Subject: Re: UMFPACK Installation Problem
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:54:45 +0530

On 10/8/06, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
Joe Koski wrote:

> Sorry for my oversimplification, and yes Linux/UNIX is very flexible about
> location. My problem with the octave configure script and the sparse
> libraries was that ./configure seemed to be looking for things like
> /ufsparse/any_header.h instead of just any_header.h. I had header files in
> obvious places on my shell path, and the script still couldn't find them. I
> had to copy multiple copies of some header files into /usr/local/include/
> and /usr/local/include/ufsparse until configure could find them all.
>
> Also, although it isn't part of the sparse matrix libraries, a "make
> install" type script that copies all the correct files into whatever is the
> correct directory would really aid in octave installation. Are the Florida
> sparse matrix folks working in that direction, or is a special octave script
> in order?
>
> Joe

Joe,

The autoconf macro that searches for the headers is

  AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ufsparse/umfpack.h umfpack/umfpack.h umfpack.h],
<found>, <not found>)

where AC_CHECK_HEADERS is a standard autoconf macro. So the header in
order will look n <include_dir>/ufsparse/umfpack.h,
<include_dir>/umfpack/umfpack.h and <include_dir>/umfpack.h. So if it
did it seems autoconf on your system has a problem.

D.
Yes, the UMFPACK,CXSparse,COLAMD have to be installed within the umfsparse/ directory. This could be located within /usr/include or /usr/local/include .  I put it under the latter directory and the configure script finds it. Unfortunately, the compilation of UMFPACK doesnt work. Looks like rpms are the only solution.
Would it make sense to include these packages in octave itself in the next version/release?