Re: Very slow mesh on MacOS X

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Very slow mesh on MacOS X
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 11:02:00 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On  6-Oct-2006, Robert A. Macy wrote:

| I use octave 2.1.50a on Windows 98
| | and *never* use mesh, way too slow | | I write special scripts to display meshed items, using the
| gsplot commands
| | display 200 by 1000 in around 1/2 second on a 750MHz
| machine
| | I found mesh only is fast enough on 20 by 40, or such

Since mesh eventually just invokes gnuplot, it seems odd to me that it
would be too slow and your calls to gnuplot are acceptably fast, but
mesh does have a for loop, so maybe that is the source of the problem
for larger data sets.  Perhaps that can be eliminated.  But in any
case, can you post an example that demonstrates the slow response
time, and for which calls to gsplot to generate the same plot do not
show the problem?

It really doesn't help us to have a lot of posts claiming that Octave
is slow without actual examples that can be used to try to diagnose
and fix the problems.  Vague descriptions of the problems are no
substitute for a precise example, since then all we can do is guess
about what the problems might be.  Often the guesses are wrong and
just a waste of time.

I've noticed slowness with large mesh plots as well, but I'm inclined to think the problem is in gnuplot. It can be seen pretty easily using the sombrero function. On my machine sombrero(40) gives a nearly instantaneous result, sombrero(100) is a little slower, and sombrero(200) results in a considerably longer wait. I think it's gnuplot for two reasons: first all three commands return to the prompt fairly quickly (quicker for smaller matrices of course), and second, after the sombrero(200) plot is up, resizing the window to full screen and back results in a significant delay while gnuplot re-draws.

Having said that, if there are for loops in the mesh code, it would be nice to eliminate them. Also, gnuplot 4.2 will have a binary data transfer capability, and I think using it could help with any plots (2D or 3D) that have large amounts of data, although I'm still not sure that's the bottleneck here.

Quentin