Re: A question on Matlab compatibility

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: A question on Matlab compatibility
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:43:58 +0200

Ron Crummett wrote:
> I have always been under the impression that to be included in
> Octave-forge, some requirements must be satisfied, in order to prevent
> anybody from writing some simple script and submitting it, only to have
> the rest of us in fits because we don't know how to use it.

You have no obligation to use any code on octave-forge, and the policy
on octave-forge has always been to be very open with what is accepted.

> In the cases I have mentioned, I don't think it would be hard at all to
> provide more compatibility between Octave and Matlab.  For example,
> Matlab has the series function that performs a multiplication of two
> cascaded systems.  Octave has a function by the same name and with the
> same functionality, but when it is called displays a warning encouraging
> its users to use sysmult instead, a function whose name lends itself
> well to its performance.

The matlab control toolbox relies heavily on matlab classes, something,
that although discussed recently, octave doesn't yet have. Therefore
although the minor change you want to make seems easy, what then? Just
making this change will not even come close to making the two toolboxes
compatible. Until someone comes forward adds classes and then fixes the
control toolbox, then this is a lost cause.

> Perhaps a break-off of Octave-forge is needed, some sort of general code
> repository similar to the Matlab Central exchange.  Octave-forge could
> be preserved with the goal of Matlab toolbox compatibility (again,
> that's how I've always seen it) and Octave-central (call it what you
> will)  could be a third-party code submission where people submit their
> task-specific code.

If you want to support a fork yourself you're welcome to it.

> To be honest, I could go on and on about improvements I'd like to see in
> Octave and its' attendant websites, but you've all heard enough from me.

I'm sorry, when I hear complaints like yours the typical response, "well
you know where the code is. Fix it".

D.