Re: Unknown error and crash

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Unknown error and crash
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:39:49 +0200

Vergil Mueller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I apologize if this post exhibits improper etiquitte, but this is my
> first time dealing with a bug.   Once I figure out what's going on, I
> will submit a formal bug report, but I don't know how to figure out
> what makes the problem occur.
>

> I have written a program that analyzes hourly solar radiation data on
> the earth's surface for a whole year (thousands of hours), and does
> multiple calculations at every step.  I can analyze an individual
> month just fine, but when I set up a for-loop to analyze all 12
> months, Octave crashes and quits itself before I can see the error
> message.  It flashes something about a memory error up on the screen
> just before it quits, but I can't read what it says before it goes away.
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on how to begin unravelling a bug like
> this?  Is there an error log file where Octave posts its errors so I
> can see what the specifics of the error are?
>
> Could it have anything to do with the fact that I store my vectors as
> a very tall column instead of a very long row?  (I was using Matlab
> for a similar problem and ran into errors when storing vectors as a
> single column instead of a single row).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Vergil

At what point does the crash occur? A short time (least than say 30
seconds) after starting the script? If so, then valgrind is probably the
way to go.. Though valgrind incur a huge speed penalty it is an
excellent tool in finding bugs like the above in octave. Also if you
aren't already update to 2.1.73 or 2.9.8 and see if the problem still
occurs. Its not use chasing a bug that is already fixed..

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary