RE: Problem using plot in MacOSX tiger

From: Harbinson, Jeremy
Subject: RE: Problem using plot in MacOSX tiger
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:44:43 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From:   Daniel Oberhoff [mailto:address@hidden
Sent:   Thu 9/7/2006 6:42 PM
To:     Joe Koski
Cc:     Harbinson, Jeremy; address@hidden

Joe Koski wrote:
> on 9/7/06 4:07 AM, Harbinson, Jeremy at address@hidden wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> I have installed Octave 2.1.73 on a MacBook running Tiger, and installed
>> Gnuplot and Aquaterm using Fink Commander, but when I try running the plot
>> command I get the message:
>>
>> octave:3> plot(cat,dog)
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib
>>   Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/gnuplot
>>   Reason: image not found
>> warning: in /usr/local/share/octave/2.1.73/m/plot/__plt__.m near line 85,
>> column 2:
>> warning: connection to external plotter (pid = 10867) lost --
>> warning: please try your plot command(s) again
>> warning: broken pipe -- some output may be lost
>> octave:4> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib
>>   Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/gnuplot
>>   Reason: image not found
>>
>> warning: connection to external plotter (pid = 10868) lost --
>> warning: please try your plot command(s) again
>> warning: broken pipe -- some output may be lost
>> warning: connection to external plotter (pid = 10892) lost --
>> warning: please try your plot command(s) again
>> warning: broken pipe -- some output may be lost
>>
>> Any suggestions? - I am completely new to the Mac so maybe I have done
>> something wrong...
>> all the best,
>> Jeremy Harbinson
>>

> Jeremy,
>
> On my G5 Mac, I have the following lines in a .bash_profile file in my home
> directory:
>
>   export GNUTERM=aqua
>   export DISPLAY=:0.0
>
> If that, doesn't fix the problem, I suspect you're mixing Fink and non-Fink
> applications, and you must really understand where all the files are and
> have the correct declarations in your .bash_profile to make that work.
>
> Joe

or check if libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib can instead be found in /sw/lib. In
this case you can help out by:

sudo ln -s /sw/lib/libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib /usr/local/lib/

gnu-stow can be used quite neatly to automate these kinda links, but it
does require some shell hackage (if not much).

Hmm, looking again: why is gnuplot in /usr/local/bin, doesn't fink
always go to /sw?
Do you have a gnuplot in /sw/bin? If so you might want to try deleting
(or renaming) the other gnuplot so that octave uses the right one:

sudo mv /usr/local/gnuplot /usr/local/gnuplot.out

Cheers

Daniel

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. My Octave is in /usr/local/bin - two versions, one
just plain Octave and another Octave-2.1.73, there is Gnuplot in sw/lib/gnuplot
and another in usr.
Libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib is not present - two libaquaterm are in usr/local/lib
(which is directory where libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib should have been); one is
libaquaterm.1.0.1.dylib and the other is libaquaterm.dylib, though both have
the same size.  I tried renaming and then copying one of these to
libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib using Finder but was unable to do so (similar response
when I tried renaming a Gnuplot file). I tried copying libaqua*.dylib using
sudo mv etc (sudo mv usr/local/lib/libaquaterm.1.0.1.dylib
usr/local/lib/libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib)
 but got the response that there was no such file or directory - sure enough I
was in my user directory. So far I have been able to change to usr by means of
the cd command in BASH. This bit of OSX is bit trickier than I expected. Any
suggestions?

As you guessed I have not been hygienic with the installations and have mixed
Fink with non-Fink binaries on the mistaken assumption that I was working with
applications that had separate folders (like DOS, OS/2 etc) and that editing
the PATH statement would be the cure. I had best buy a book on the Unix side of
OSX.....

Thanks, all the best,
Jeremy