Re: misbehavior in Octave 2.9.4 for OS/2

From: Steven Levine
Subject: Re: misbehavior in Octave 2.9.4 for OS/2
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:24:43 -0700

In <address@hidden>, on 06/16/06
   at 01:46 PM, address@hidden (Dushan Mitrovich) said:

>Yes, that's because I found that if I end all assignment lines with semi-
>colons, when I call the function no results are printed.  When I remove
>the semicolons from the result lines, Octave does print the result.  Is
>this not the expected behavior?

I depends on what your needs are.  There are exceptions, but generally, it
is better to suppress internal results.

One would define the function as

  o = function f(i)
     o = ...;
  endfunction

and invoke the function as

  f(3)

or as

  f(3);

so that the output is controlled by the calling function.

Regards,

Steven

"Steven Levine" <address@hidden>  MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183 Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4
www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)