Re: octaverc

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: octaverc
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:14:44 +0200

Vim Visual wrote:
> thanks! this worked out well!
>
> And don't understand me wrong. I thank you and David! I just answered
> "nope" because I was in a hurry... I'm not that rude

Don't worry I reply quickly to in general to the octave lists (typically
without reading what I've written) to minimize the time I spend and so
make errors.

> As I said I'm a 100% newbie to octave. I've printed out some pages of
> the manual but would be veeery thankful if you quickly told me how to
> read say about 2000 files with hash comments in the headers, each
> having 8 columns or so and about 130000 lines, so that, for instance,
> say I can multiply all first columns by all 3rd columns or "grep out"
> the X line of all of them and make operations with it
>
> I've been doing this kind of things with zsh scripts but today
> somebody told I'd better start with octave, and it looks promising...
> the only problem is that I have to speed up a lot and get soon results
>
> Could you please give me such a sort octave script example?
>
> thanks (even if you don't!)
>

>>Well, David did say "something like".
>>
>>I think you want something that is more like
>>
>>  source ("~/fitx_confg/octave/octaverc");
>>
>>jwe

As this is in a system config file, I'd probably suggest a small
alteration to that like

if (exist("~/fitx_config/octave/octaverc","file")
  source ("~/fitx_config/octave/octaverc");
endif

so that users that choose not to have this file don't get an error...

D.