linking Octave with hdf5 libraries

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: linking Octave with hdf5 libraries
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 02:36:36 -0400

On 18-May-2006, Aakash Dalwani wrote:

| It is not clear to me how to link octave with hdf5 libraries.
|
| I have hdf5 built in this directory: "/home/hdf5-1.6.5/build"
|
| Is this the correct way to link octave to it?
|
| ./configure --with-hdf5=/home/hdf5-1.6.5/build

No, you should either install the libraries in a location that the
compiler and linker search by default, or tell the compiler and linker
where to look by setting CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS.  For example, something
like

  ./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/home/hdf5-1.6.5/build
LDFLAGS=-L/home/hdf5-1.6.5/build ...

(assuming that you've installed the header files and libraries in the
same directory).  The CPPFLAGS variable is for the C/C++
preprocessor.  The LDFLAGS variable is for the linker.  This method
also has the advantage of recording your settings in the config.status
file.

jwe