PLplot and Octave

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: PLplot and Octave
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 16:13:18 -0500

Perhaps I should be asking PLPlot folks instead of this list, but...

Eager to try out alternatives, I apt-got (Debian testing/unstable)
everything related to plplot and Octave just to see how it compares
with the standard (slightly non-free) gnuplot interface.

Seems to work fine, except that when I closed the test plplot window
that Octave opened, plplot complained about explicit kill or x-server
shutdown, segfaulted, and Octave core-dumped:

 octave:1> toggle_plplot_use
 Use PLplot: on
 octave:2> x = -pi:0.1:pi;
 octave:3> plot(x,sin(x))

 #Closed the plplot window here, which displayed with no problems.

 octave:4> plot(x,sin(x))

 #Tried plotting the same thing again, but...

 X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
 warning: broken pipe -- some output may be lost
 panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
 attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
 save to `octave-core' complete
 Segmentation fault

Also, looks like the X11 driver for plplot doesn't redraw the window.
I suppose this is a problem with precisely this driver.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

- Jordi G. H.