Displaying an animation / "movie"

From: Jeff Miller
Subject: Displaying an animation / "movie"
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 16:46:50 -0400

Hi,
I would really like to use Octave, but there is an important feature I need, which so far I haven't figured out how to do:

In Matlab I can do:
for i=1:100; imshow(rand(100,100)); drawnow; end;

...and it rapidly displays a series of matrices in the same window, like an animated movie. In Octave, when I try this, it opens 100 ImageMagick windows, with each one containing a separate image.

Is there a way to get the desired behavior in Octave? (or any other open-source numerical computation package?)

Thanks for any help!
Jeff