Upgrade from 2.1.50 to 2.1.73 breaks code on Windows?

From: David Smith
Subject: Upgrade from 2.1.50 to 2.1.73 breaks code on Windows?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 05:45:18 -1000

I recently updated from Octave 2.1.50 to 2.1.73 on my Windows-XP computer. This is using the Windows binary install in both cases. But some of my code now doesn't work with 2.1.73 - for a minor reason which I will now illustrate:

If I place the following in a file named "testdata.m":

x = [
1 2
3 4
];

and try to execute "testdata" from the command line, it works in version 2.1.50 but not in 2.1.73. For version 2.1.73 it produces these messages:

 syntax error

>>> 1 2 3
   ^

parse error near line 3 of file /cygdrive/c/home/davids/projects/TRP_bench/SamHammondsCablePull/testdata.m

 syntax error

>>> 1 2 3
       ^

Notice that if I type the statements from the Octave command line it works fine. Also it is ok if I replace "[" with "[\", everything else being the same.

My question is: Is this a bug or a feature?

Dave Smith