Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge release

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge release
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:01:38 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Doug Stewart wrote:

Billings, Paul wrote:

My .octaverc has the following to configure interactions of my native editor with octave:
edit editor
'/cygdrive/c/progra~1/xemacs/XEmacs-21.4.13/i586-pc-win32/winclient.exe
`cygpath -msa %s`'

Other editors may require -w instead of -m if they don't grok '/' as a dir
separator.  You can probably get away without the -s (short file names).

I don't think ANY of this rigmarole should be in edit.m. A note somewhere about this peculiarity of the cygwin version would be nice (e.g., the wiki), but I would think that's all.

Are you saying we shouldn't make a version that works on windows????????

I think that he's trying to say that it should be documented, but it already does work in windows, you should read the documentation. I'm somewhat inclined to agree.

The problem to me is that windows doesn't have a good editor by default (notepad definitely doesn't cut it for coding, and wordpad will try to get you to save the file as a non-text version). Perhaps the best solution would be to have some decent relatively intuitive editor (which probably knocks out both emacs and vi) packaged with octave, and set the editor in the .octaverc of the package.

Since I see that the code works essentially as is (the spaces patch that I sent as far as I can tell fixes it), I think that the problem is more of a packager concern than an octave concern (it affects packages made for one-- admittedly widespread-- OS).

The solution should lie in the hands of the packager since it's relatively straightforward to just set the editor in a system-wide .octaverc file, and there's no good way to know the user's favorite editor in windows in another case (we could go into file associations, but I think that would be a bit complex of a solution).

Bill

--
"Never ask a hungry cat if it loves you for yourself alone."
  -- nancybuttons.com