Re: Website Modifications (Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge releas

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: Website Modifications (Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge release)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:42:45 -0800

Installation of Octave is not as easy as it should be in my opinion. Sorry,
if I see an installation which requires modification of flags, I'm getting
lost. I  suggest that if it were easier to install octave, a lot more people
would use it.

My first octave on Mac (2.1.35 on 11/29/02) installation was done with Fink.
I could not have done it without it but it was not easy.

I installed of a newer version using Fink/Fink Installer (Octave 2.1.46 on
11/29/03) and it was not easy either. But it was I who screwed up because I
did not read all the instructions.

More recently (June 2005, my current octave installation 2.1.71 ) I
installed from source on Mac OS X 10.4.x using a *26* step process following
http://dcollett.macosx.com/octaveOSx104.html (apparently no longer a valid
URL).

It was mentioned before and again by Paul K a couple of days ago that
http://hpc.sourceforge.net/ should be easier  to use but at one time it
would not install octave-forge and/or AquaTerm. To get what was missing was
not easy either.

Earlier (Octave 2.1.36, i.686-pc-cygwin, 2002)) I had installed octave on a
PC with Windows 95 and just clicked on a .exe file. It installed octave,
and gnuplot with menus. This I could handle but almost forgot all about it.
Henry