Re: What about FreeMat?

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: What about FreeMat?
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:13:24 +0200

What I liked best about it is that the window installer is only ~20MB including everything, as compared to octave-workshop's mammoth 120MB installer. It's probably because it doesn't include a full mingw system

Shai

Quentin Spencer wrote:
Agustin Barto wrote:

I was just taking a look at

http://freemat.sourceforge.net/

and it looks promising. What do you think about it?

I hadn't heard of it before, so I tried it. Here are my comments:

First I tried to compile it myself, but I couldn't get it to work. I had the necessary QT4 installed, but there seem to be some problems with the configure script that I won't go into here. After giving up on compiling, I downloaded the precompiled Linux binary and tried it.

It looks very similar to Sebastien's Octave Workshop, probably because both are trying to look like the Matlab IDE. It supports multidimensional arrays, cell arrays, and sparse matrices. One of the major deficiencies is that many functions that I consider relatively basic are missing, like filter. Of course it also lacks the large library of add-on functions available in octave-forge, which I use a lot. It has a 2-D plotting tool that works reasonably well, but no 3-D plotting.

I did a few quick speed tests. Linear algebra was slower, not surprisingly since I use ATLAS with Octave, the binary I tested was statically linked to BLAS. To test FOR loops, I tried "tic; a=1; for b=1:1000000; a=a+1; end; toc". In Matlab, this takes 0.8 seconds, in Octave 4 seconds, and in FreeMat 28 seconds. There appears to be help available via a browser-style interface, but the help available from the command line seems to be missing for a lot of functions.

There are some menu buttons and built-in editor which suggest that it may support integrated debugging, but I didn't try to test it. I'll keep emacs, thank you.

So, in summary, this does look promising, but I'm staying with Octave. There are a few GUI-oriented features that Octave doesn't have, which I don't really miss, and which may be available soon in Octave Workshop anyway.

-Quentin