Re: licensing question

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: licensing question
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 01:56:43 -0700

On 2/23/06, Michael Creel <address@hidden> wrote:

> I will advise him that this won't work directly, but these files are
> also copyrighted GPL. What are the restrictions to using modified
> versions compiled with MATLAB? I believe it's ok for personal use, but
> not for any form of distribution. Is that correct? Thanks, M.

I am not a lawyer, but am pretty sure GPL does not distinguish
between "personal" use or otherwise. Moreover one of the points
in copyleft is that it explicitly prohibits any limitations on code
distribution.
Now in my opinion using GPL code with matlab is as kosher as
compiling GPL C-code with microsoft compiler or running Octave
on MS Windows :)

For what it worth.

Sincerely,

Dmitri.