Re: Free Octave-Matlab book in Spanish

From: kamaraju kusumanchi
Subject: Re: Free Octave-Matlab book in Spanish
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:52:49 -0500

Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:

On 1/27/06, Javier Arantegui Jimenez <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I don't know a word of LaTeX, but I use TeXmacs

TeXmacs is good. By the sound of it, it's just a front-end to (La)TeX,
but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

And you should learn a word of LaTeX. It's good for you. :)

- Jordi

[flame suite on]

Actually, Texmacs is much more than that. It is very useful for example, if you want to draw and include some pictures inside your latex document. There are many more interesting things but the above feature is what made me stick with Texmacs instead of latex.

Currently if you want to draw a picture with some complicated labels (greek letters, subscripts etc.,) the usual way is to draw this picture in xfig or some other program (like dia) and adjust/readjust the formatting of labels through multiple cycles of "save picture, export to eps, latex save, latex compile, view the final output". Texmacs eliminates all this "unnecessary" intermediate phases and you have a very clean environment to draw and include the pictures.

I also find that, I can write documents at 2-3 times faster than what I was able to do with latex (vim-latexsuite to be precise). If you are new to the world of typesetting, I suggest going for Texmacs without bothering about latex. But be warned that not all the journals out there accept .tm files, so you might have to learn latex depending on your need. But if you have a choice, Choose texmacs over latex.

[flame suite off]

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi