Re: how to install OCTAVE in windows XP

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: how to install OCTAVE in windows XP
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:46:28 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

I have tested it recently, and it works well. One observation I have is that by the time you add X11 and all the other dependencies, it gets to be a lot of packages to install. The complete octave + octave-forge installation I did used something like 250 MB of disk space. The whole list of dependencies includes things that I don't think octave actually needs like perl (if I recall correctly, something in either octave or octave-forge required part of TeX, which required perl). On Unix-like systems it's all pretty standard, but it may be a bit overwhelming to a Windows user.

Right. On the other hand, I kinda like making Windows people use more unixy stuff. I would probably include some useful shell scripts and perl scripts with code I distribute, so I would want them to have perl and more on there. It might be best to have a Windows version of Octave like they have a Windows version of R, but that must be a monumental effort to create and maintain well. R seems to have a bigger user base and a bigger developer community so maybe they can afford it more easily.

Mike