Re: how to install OCTAVE in windows XP

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: how to install OCTAVE in windows XP
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:28:27 -0600

Mike Miller wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, A S Hodel wrote:

I have a short summary and some additional helpful links at
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/hodelas/classes/C10383623/E1699166854/index.html If there are any problems, please inform me so that I can correct the weblog entry.

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

   If the dependencies are all correct, it should be sufficient to simply
   choose to install the Octave package and that should cause the Cygwin
   installer to select and install all the other things Octave needs,
   including gnuplot, X11, etc.  If that doesn't happen, then it might be
   a bug in the dependency lists.

I haven't tested that yet.

I have tested it recently, and it works well. One observation I have is that by the time you add X11 and all the other dependencies, it gets to be a lot of packages to install. The complete octave + octave-forge installation I did used something like 250 MB of disk space. The whole list of dependencies includes things that I don't think octave actually needs like perl (if I recall correctly, something in either octave or octave-forge required part of TeX, which required perl). On Unix-like systems it's all pretty standard, but it may be a bit overwhelming to a Windows user.

-Quentin