Path search problems on cygwin

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Path search problems on cygwin
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:04:14 -0600

I recently tried the latest cygwin versions of octave and octave-forge--many thanks to those whose work made them possible. Before stating my problem I should note that I may have unknowingly created my problems by moving my cygwin installation to a network drive which initially resulted in some other non-octave problems. (The idea is to make it possible for co-workers to run simulations overnight for me on their windows boxes without installing anything locally. With the rising cost of natural gas, we can heat the building this winter with our CPUs instead :). ) When octave starts up, for some reason it is not picking up the octave-forge path. The output of the path command is:

 /usr/lib/octave/2.1.72/site/oct/i686-pc-cygwin//
 /usr/lib/octave/site/oct/api-v13/i686-pc-cygwin//
 /usr/lib/octave/site/oct/i686-pc-cygwin//
 /usr/share/octave/2.1.72/site/m//
 /usr/share/octave/site/api-v13/m//
 /usr/share/octave/site/m//
 /usr/lib/octave/2.1.72/oct/i686-pc-cygwin//
 /usr/share/octave/2.1.72/m//

The lastest octave-forge package puts the m files in /usr/share/octave/site/m/octave-forge/, which should be covered by the "/usr/share/octave/site/m//" entry above, but for some reason octave doesn't see any of the octave-forge m files. If I explicitly try to force octave to search the octave-forge path ty inserting the command path([path,"/usr/share/octave/site/m/octave-forge//"]) in .octaverc, octave now sees all of the octave-forge functions, but at startup I get

warning: in mark_as_command near line 1, column 1:
warning: mark_as_command: invalid use inside function body

followed by several more repetitions of the second warning. Octave is now usable, but the warnings are a little annoying. What causes these warnings? Why does octave not search the octave-forge path? Has anyone else seen this behavior?

-Quentin