problem compiling octave

From: theodor abelt
Subject: problem compiling octave
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:07:10 -0600

hello i am new to octave and i am having problems installing it (on suse 10.0) first i tried to install it using different rpm-files. but i always got the message that the package didn't include the files. has anybody an idea how to solve this problem? and then i tried to compile the package "octave-forge-2005.06.13" but after i typed in "/bin/octave-forge-2005.06.13> ./configure --with-path=$HOME/octave-forge --prefix=$HOME" i got the following error message: checking for gcc... gcc checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out checking whether the C compiler works... yes checking whether we are cross compiling... no checking for suffix of executables... checking for suffix of object files... o checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed checking for mkoctfile... no configure: WARNING: no mkoctfile found on path ./configure: line 2386: conftest.cc: command not found configure: error: Could not run does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem ? thank you, theodor