Re: WARNING: Couldn't find tool init file

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: WARNING: Couldn't find tool init file
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:04:47 -0600

On 11/7/05, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  7-Nov-2005, Keith Goodman wrote:

> | > Make install?
> |
> | So I should 'make install' even though 'make check' failed?
>
> I think the reason make check failed is because the new copy of Octave
> you compiled is picking up the old libraries that are already
> installed.  Fix that problem and you will probably see better results
> from make check.  One way to fix it is to remove the old version.
> Another is to install the new version.  But, as I mentioned earlier,
> this might leave some files around from the previous installation that
> are no longer needed, and in some cases could even conflict with the
> new build.  Another solution is to not build a second copy of Octave
> that has the same version number as one that is already installed on
> your system, but that is also significantly different than the
> copy that is already installed.  I don't bump the version number in
> CVS until the next snapshot.  That works OK for me, but if it causes
> trouble for you, then you can always modify the version number when
> you build a copy of Octave from CVS to avoid conflicts.
>
> jwe

Thank you. It worked, I think. I'm up and running.

Here's what I did:

cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/cvs -z 9 checkout octave
cd octave
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/octave/3.9.2
make
make check

Now I only get one unexpected failure from 'make check'. But when I
look at the test log (test/octave.log) I see lots of errors and lots
of 'child process exited abnormally' and lots of doc strings. Here's
an example:

 Octave Output:
usage: shift (X, b, dim)
error: evaluating if command near line 37, column 3
error: called from `shift' in file
`/home/keith/devel/octcvs/octave4/octave/scripts/general/shift.m'
error: near line 1 of file `./octave.test/matrix/shift-3.m'
child process exited abnormally
PASS: octave.test/matrix/shift-3.m
EXEC: ../src/octave -f -q -H -p .:../src//:./../scripts//
./octave.test/matrix/sort-1.m

Octave Output:
ans = 1
PASS: octave.test/matrix/sort-1.m
EXEC: ../src/octave -f -q -H -p .:../src//:./../scripts//
./octave.test/matrix/sort-2.m

Octave Output:

*** sort:

 -- Loadable Function: [S, I] = sort (X)
 -- Loadable Function: [S, I] = sort (X, DIM)
 -- Loadable Function: [S, I] = sort (X, MODE)
 -- Loadable Function: [S, I] = sort (X, DIM, MODE)
     Return a copy of X with the elements arranged in increasing order.
     For matrices, `sort' orders the elements in each column.

     For example,

          sort ([1, 2; 2, 3; 3, 1])
          =>  1  1
                   2  2
                   3  3

     The `sort' function may also be used to produce a matrix
     containing the original row indices of the elements in the sorted
     matrix.  For example,

          [s, i] = sort ([1, 2; 2, 3; 3, 1])
          => s = 1  1
                      2  2
                      3  3
          => i = 1  3
                      2  1
                      3  2

     If the optional argument DIM is given, then the matrix is sorted
     along the dimension defined by DIM. The optional argument `mode'
     defines the order in which the values will be sorted. Valid values
     of `mode' are `ascend' or `descend'.

     For equal elements, the indices are such that the equal elements
     are listed in the order that appeared in the original list.

     The `sort' function may also be used to sort strings and cell
     arrays of strings, in which case the dictionary order of the
     strings is used.

     The algorithm used in `sort' is optimized for the sorting of
     partially ordered lists.

Additional help for built-in functions, operators, and variables
is available in the on-line version of the manual.  Use the command
`help -i <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the address@hidden
mailing list.

error: near line 1 of file `./octave.test/matrix/sort-2.m'
child process exited abnormally
PASS: octave.test/matrix/sort-2.m
EXEC: ../src/octave -f -q -H -p .:../src//:./../scripts//
./octave.test/matrix/sort-3.m

[SNIP]

                === octave Summary ===

# of expected passes            1206