Re: manipulating sparse matrices

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: manipulating sparse matrices
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:27:26 +0200

Mike Miller a écrit :

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, David Bateman wrote:

nzmax is in 2.9, as the source-forge index was I believe based on a 2.9.2 release, it should probably be updated soon as many things have changed (eg statistics functions, etc). The 0bytes is a missing feature in the octave-forge sparse functions as the bytes size in the whos function I believe was added at 2.1.58, after the octave-forge sparse stuff was written. Basically, it needs to implement a byte_size() function to return the value that will be printed.. This also works in 2.9.3

For the meantime, stuck as I am in the 2.1.71 world (because I'm developing code for users who can install 2.1.71), can I estimate nzmax by taking 8*nnz()? It seems that full matrices use 8 bytes per element. Or maybe it should be 3*8*nnz() because every sparse element requires three terms: row, column and value.

Not quite. Its more like

(ncol + 1) * sizeof(octave_idx_type) + nz * (sizeof(octave_idx_type) + sizeof(double))

for a real matrix, and you can imagine what it is for Complex and bool matrices. octave_idx_type is either int or long and so is 4 bytes on a 32 bit platform and can be either 4 or 8 bytes on a 64 bit platform [at least with 2.9 :-) ]

As you were asking about cholesky factorizations previously, I've just gotten sparse cholesky factorizations working with cholmod and will commit this soon, I want to try to address the chol2inv, cholinv and inv functions, and update the docs first though...

Excellent!

You guys are great.  Thanks.

I suppose that Octave 2.9.x will be released someday as Octave 3.0. Is that the plan?

That more or least John's plan, though there are still lots of things on the timeline before then...

D.

Mike