Re: fltk, oct files, and windows

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: fltk, oct files, and windows
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 06:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Kienzle  wrote:
> Have you tried octave-forge/admin/Windows/mkstdc++dll.sh?
>
> It converts the static C++ library into a DLL.  It worked for me for my
> build of octave on Windows.
>
> - Paul

No, I didn't know about this script.  Looking it over, it makes the previously
described "hard" problem look easy.  The proposed solution has a recursive
flavor - use gcc to rebuild it's own libraries.  But this recursion problem is
present in any compiler build system.  I don't really know offhand what the
standard build process is - whether gcc 3.4.4-x is built with 3.4.4-(x-1) or
with 3.4.(x-1)-y, or what.

I know as the octave maintainer I couldn't install a shared version of
libstdc++ into /usr/lib, because of the risk of breakage, i.e. the global
effect on all c++ programs that link after the install.  It would be possible
to install as a private library just for octave/octave-forge, but I don't think
the cygwin packaging gurus would like it.  On the one hand, it seems to
duplicate function and consume disk space; on the other, a static library
already consumes extra disk space for every program that statically links to
it.

I'm really in over my head on compiler issues, so it isn't clear to me that the
reported issue would be solved just by reorganizing the static library as a
shared library.  The OP at address@hidden suggests that a different
compile-time switch is or should be required, as opposed to a link-time
solution.  He is now proposing to test whether the added compile-time switch
works or not.

I will explore this concept further if there is no solution forthcoming from
the cygwin gcc maintainers.

jrp