Re: MPI (was Re: BIG libraries with self-compiled version)

From: Fredrik Lingvall
Subject: Re: MPI (was Re: BIG libraries with self-compiled version)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:13:47 +0200

Peter Soendergaard wrote:

It is possible to compile ATLAS exactly for use on multi-cpu shared memory machines. The code uses pthreads. I have not done it myself, but it should say in the documentation how to do it.

If you do a 'make config' in ATLAS (3.7.8) you will be promted the following question:

ATLAS can provide SMP support for the Level 3 BLAS via Posix threads.
If you choose to build a threaded library, ATLAS will compile all
aspects of the library (including the serial components) with the
threaded compiler/link flags.  Most machines can use the serial
library even when it is compiled with threaded options, but this
is not guaranteed to work, so if you want a true serial library,
answer no to threading below.
enable Posix threads support? [y]:
So just asnwer 'y' and you will have thread support in ATLAS!

Then we should not this can't be used as a part of Octave, since the
license is not compatible with the GPL.

I don't think we should encourage its use since it is not free sofware.

OK. GOTO's BLAS lib is however known to be the fastest on the supported platforms.

Fredrik