Re: Determining if samples are normal

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Determining if samples are normal
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:13:31 -0400

On Sep 26, 2005, at 8:11 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Paul Kienzle wrote:

Using n=400, 60% of the triangular samples are rejected at a .1 level, but of course 10% of the normal samples are as well.

So maybe the q-q correlation method is more powerful than Anderson-Darling in this case. In the q-q correlation method, with n=300, we could reject 49% at the .05 level. Of course 49% is less than 60%, but that was achieved with a smaller sample size and half the type-1 error rate.

For n=300, I get 25% correct rejection at the 5% level compared to the triangular distribution, so not so great.

- Paul