imread / imwrite status?

From: Brendan Drew
Subject: imread / imwrite status?
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:59:31 -0600

Appologies if this is going to the wrong list -- there's a maintainers list but no devel list, which is where I'd usually send this sort of thing.

I am presently using Octave 2.1.64 (SuSE binaries) and Octave-Forget 2004.11.16. Looking through the release notes for Octave and Octave-Forge, it appears that imread and imwrite (my bread and butter, so to speak) are both implemented by forking off an ImageMagick (convert) process. This gets to be intolerably slow when reading large sequences of images (my C++ png reading / writing code is roughly a factor of 10 faster on my system, which when you multiply out by 6000+ images is quite the savings). Are there any plans for a C++ version of imread / imwrite? If not, I'd be happy to take a weekend or two to start hacking one together if there is sufficient interest.

--
Brendan Drew
Research Scientist