Re: Installing Octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Installing Octave
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:47:01 +0200

Frank Palazzolo wrote:

David,

I did a mingw build back in January, and as I recall I had two types of
problems.  One was the readline problems you already cited.  The other was
that there were a few calls to fork(), which of course don't exist in mingw.

A few of the fork() calls were internal, in liboctave\mkdir.c, rename.c, and
rmdir.c, which I didn't quite understand.  Then there was the fact that
octave can be multithreaded through the use of fork.  This would either need
to be disabled to get a "single-threaded octave", or mapped to the native
windows multithreading calls.

Here is my old message, which isn't very informative...
http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2005/msg00090.html

Sounds like you've gotten further than I did...good luck!

-Frank
Ahh, I missed the fork calls in rmdir.c, etc. I'd only looked at those in *.cc files which didn't seem important. I'm not sure I see why rmdir, mkdir and rename need a fork, since all the parent process does is hang around waiting for the child to finish. The only reason I can see for the fork, is that the child is free to mess with the umask, etc without fixing up the mess afterwards, which with careful bookkeeping we could fix up anyway. Furthermore these three files aren't even used for me as the libc with the latest mingw has mkdir, rmdir and rename. So I never even ran across this issue..

The Ffork function in octave will of course be missing, but the cost of getting it work would be to take fork.cc from the cygwin sources, which is quite large... So I propose to do nothing for the fork issues...

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary