Re: Navigating directories in Macintosh and octave

From: Nathan Weisz
Subject: Re: Navigating directories in Macintosh and octave
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:37:25 +0200

Dear Allan,

Although not primary, or necessary, the ability to
start with the command “octave” would be nice.  I am

In your home directory /Users/yourname, you can create a ".bashrc" file (I assume you use the default shell).
sudo pico .bashrc

Here you can create an alias:
alias octave="/usr/local/bin/octave"

is is related to
LoadPath, but again where is the directory for
creating LoadPath and what is the file name and text
entry needed?  I understand in some way that this is

You can create a .octaverc file in your home directory too:
sudo pico .octaverc

Mine looks like this:
LOADPATH=['/Users/nathan/octavestuff//:']
LOADPATH = [ '/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/oct/powerpc-apple- darwin7.9.0/octave-forge:/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m
/octave-forge//:', LOADPATH ];
EXEC_PATH = [ '/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/exec/powerpc- apple-darwin7.9.0:', EXEC_PATH ];
gnuplot_binary="/usr/local/bin/gnuplot"

My personal m-files are in the first line. The "//" tells octave to search in all subdirectories.

Hope this helps.

Nathan