Re: Is octave slower than Matlab??

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Is octave slower than Matlab??
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:01:49 -0400

On 13-Jul-2005, David Bateman wrote:

| Min Seung Kyu a écrit :
|
| > Dear Gonzalez,
| >
| > I used Linux OS for running octave.
| >
| > Sincerely, Min.
|
| You should probably read the document
|
| http://www.mathworks.com/support/tech-notes/1100/1109.html
|
| Octave is much more subject to vectorization issues than matlab due to
| the lack of JIT... Things are happening there so I imagine eventually
| this will be addressed. However, with well vectorized code the JIT issue
| is small in the code speed comparison...

The OP mentioned FFT but did not tell us whether he used FFTW with
Octave.  That could make a difference depending on the code.  Of
course, it is always pretty much impossible to say for sure why some
code might be slower or faster if you don't know exactly what the code
is.  And it would also help to know what version of Octave (and
Matlab) we are talking about.

jwe