Re: octave & octave-forge install instructions for Mac OS X 10.4.x

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: octave & octave-forge install instructions for Mac OS X 10.4.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:20:42 -0600

on 7/1/05 5:51 PM, Marius Schamschula at address@hidden wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Henry F. Mollet wrote:
>
>> Replies/questions inserted. Trying to clarify. Thanks.
>> Henry
>>
>> on 7/1/05 12:35 PM, Marius Schamschula at address@hidden
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Order does matter, at least when installing using "make install." I'm
>>> in the process of building a version of octave/octave-forge that
>>> installs using Apple's installer app. Then the order will not matter.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to an easier installation.
>
> Don't hold your breath. I'm currently re-compiling the whole thing for
> a third time. Why? I have yet to find a FORTRAN compiler that will
> cleanly build all of octave/octave-forge and the dependancies under Mac
> OS X 10.4.x. gfortran 4.0.0 is still broken, i.e. the octave compile
> itself fails. Swarm's g77 built against gcc 4.0, still seems the best
> bet, but requires a bit of care in installing: It comes with a complete
> version of gcc 4.0, which is older and more buggy than Apple's Xcode
> gcc 4.0 release. Thus one has to install Xcode 2.0, Swarm gcc 4.0,
> Xcode 2.1 (or install Swarm gcc 4.0 over the current install and
> reinstall Xcode 2.1). GiNaC will build, but it will not link into
> octave-forge. This time I'm trying Apple's gcc 3.3 together with hpc's
> g77 3.4, the same combination I successfully used for Mac OS X 10.3.x.
> A number of packages fail here PDFlib-Lite so far (gnuplot dependancy).
> Currently building lam...

Although it is not official gcc material, g95 (http://g95.sourceforge.net/)
has been very reliable for me. When g77 seg-faulted on a computational fluid
dynamics code that we change often, I tried g95, and it worked, and enabled
me to deliver some results on time. So far, even though it claims to be
beta, g95 has performed reliably for me, and has compiled the half-dozen old
Fortran 77 legacy code that I threw at it. They update the g95 Mac binaries
often, unlike gfortran. It uses the same back end as gfortran. It may be
worth a try.

Joe