Re: statistics distributions function names

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: statistics distributions function names
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:38:09 -0400

On  1-Jul-2005, Ben Barrowes wrote:

| This approach is simple, but should work for most of the statistics
| function now located in statistics/distributions.

Yes, it would work, but if you apply this to all the distribution
functions you have two nearly identical sets of functions.  I think it
is bad form to have so much duplicate code.  Probably it would be
better to rename the existing code and write new functions that allow
the old function names to work.  Those could go in a subdirectory of
the scripts/deprecated directory.  See the other functions in the
scripts/deprecated directory for examples.  I'm not sure whether they
should print warnings, but if we decide that they should, then I think
we should come up with a uniform way to do that for all deprecated
functions.

jwe