Re: origin of the index syntax

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: origin of the index syntax
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:10:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Francesco Potorti` wrote:

Ted Harding:
Some languages distinguish between a function call like fname(...)
and reference to an indexed variable like vname[...] by different
syntax. C is such a language, and originated in 1972 (though it
evolved from languages going back to the early 60s).

Thank you for the interesting excursus on the history of the (..) and
[..] syntaxes, but that's not what I meant :-)

I meant to ask this: If I want to take a slice of a multidimensional
array, I can express it as [1:10, 3, 0.1, [3 6], :].  Is there a common
name for this kind of syntax?

I think that has its origins in fortran (I'm positive that it's part of fortran 90), so you could say it's fortran style, but that doesn't sound like quite what you're looking for.

Bill

--
"When people tell you how young you look, they are also telling you how old you are."
  -- Cary Grant