image.m and scaling

From: Brian Blais
Subject: image.m and scaling
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:59:28 -0400

Hello,

I was wondering what others thought of the following observation.  When
I do an image command, or an imagesc command, the resulting image is
increased in size (IMHO, good) and smoothed (IMHO, bad).  Usually when I
am looking at a small matrix, I am looking at data and would like to see
an honest representation of those data points, more similar to matlab's
image command.  If one changes one word in image.m from:

im_display = sprintf ("display -geometry %f%% \"%s\"", zoom*100, ppm_name);

to:

im_display = sprintf ("display -sample %f%% \"%s\"", zoom*100, ppm_name);

using the -sample option, then you get the same increase in size, which
is good for visibility, and the image is not smoothed.  Try it with:

imagesc(rand(20));

and you'll see the difference.  Is this something that others would
like, or is the present behavior there for some reason?

                        thanks,

                                Brian Blais

--

            address@hidden