how to automatic reverse i search when pressing up arrow at prompt with

From: Ben Barrowes
Subject: how to automatic reverse i search when pressing up arrow at prompt with text?
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 08:03:18 -0600

Is there any way to have octave automatically complete partially entered commands at the prompt with prior commands without having to reverse i search? As I understand the behavior now, one can complete partially typed commands with tab, use the up arrow to cycle through all past commands, or use C-r to do a reverse-i-search. However, consider an example command history:

mycommand1
return
plot(x,y)
rehash
othercommand
mycommand1

and I then want to enter the command "return" again. I would like to be able to scroll through partially matching history commands by typing "r" "e" uparrow, find return then pressing enter a la matlab. It seems like this is a faster choice than retyping the full command or the sequence C-r r e TAB return.

Ben Barrowes