How can I this efficiently? common rows in two data sets

From: Rick Niles
Subject: How can I this efficiently? common rows in two data sets
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:12:34 -0500

OK I have a problem I hit a lot and I haven't come up with a good way to do this Octave. I was wondering if there's a good way to do this or if it's a opportunity for another built-in oct-file if there's not a good way to do it with the current set of the functions.

I have two data files, each has one column that represents "time". But they don't start and stop at the same time and either may have random drop-outs (no-data) for any amount of time. The obvious thing to do make a common data set that only contains the times (rows) for which I have data from both sets.

I tried using "intersection()" on the time columns and doing a for loop with "find()" for each time value one at a time to get the indexes that have common time, but on a large data set it's really slow and obviously not very efficient.

As lots of people use Octave to process real data sets it seems like there should be a good way to do this.

Any ideas?

   Thanks,
   Rick Niles.