wavread problems

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: wavread problems
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:58:02 -0500

I have been working at fixing wavread, and I have run into a snag.

I am running Andy Adler's port  2.1.42   and

cygwin with 2.1.50

In 2.1.42 this code works

% read riff chunk ChunkID 4 bytes
RIFF_str=char(fread(fid,4,'uchar'));
if (strcmp(RIFF_str,'RIFF')==0)
 fclose(fid);
 error(sprintf('%s is not a WAV file',wavefile));
end

but in 2.1.50 it doesn't
but this does

% read riff chunk ChunkID 4 bytes
RIFF_str=char(fread(fid,4,'uchar'));
if (strcmp(RIFF_str','RIFF')==0)
 fclose(fid);
 error(sprintf('%s is not a WAV file',wavefile));
end

I had to transpose the RIFF_str for the strcmp to work.

So my question is
1 - is this a windows problem?
2 - did strcmp change  or char change?
3 - more importantly what way does the latest version work?

the  code is at
http://dougs.homeip.net/octave/wavread2.m

and a wave file that works with this code on my 2.1.42 is:
http://dougs.homeip.net/octave/ringout.wav

There are still a couple of more changes that I want to make in the file so consider this as still a work in progress.

thanks in advance
Doug Stewart